01 September 2011

It's a date

I finally have a date, and not the kind I'd eventually ruin by spending 35 minutes dissecting Dave Roberts' stolen base against the Yankees in 2004. The date is September 20, and that's when I finally leave the U.S. for Prague, where I'll land the next day to begin the latest chapter/adventure/prelude to an international incident.

When I last left you, I was getting ready to head to New York to apply for a long-stay visa on Friday. But I was unable to secure the starting date until I returned to New York to apply for a short-term visa on Tuesday. As always, I will explain.

New York, New York: So nice, I drove there twice.

Having finally received all of my paperwork, including my criminal record check from South Korea and an Apostille so the Czech Republic will recognize it, I drove to New York expecting little more than a "thank you and see you soon" from the Czech consular office in New York. The office was open from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Friday, so I slept over at my aunt and uncle's house near Springfield, Mass., on Thursday, then left at 5:45 a.m. the next day for Yonkers, where I parked and took the Metro-North line to Grand Central. The first stop was the official Czech translator's office to pick up the translated copy of the record check and Apostille ($50). Then I rode the No. 6 subway line six stops and, after mistakenly stopping by some unlucky woman's apartment at 123 East 73rd Street, entered the Czech consular at 321 East 73rd.

Naturally, it didn't go smoothly. I checked in at the front desk, which was manned by a replacement from Poland who sent me to the nearest copy center to make two copies of everything. She also said I needed bank statements, which I got by borrowing the computer at the UPS Store.

Then, I returned and waited as other people who were there to pick up their visas went ahead of me, who was applying and therefore would take longer. There were maybe five people waiting, mostly students.

Finally, I got in. The consular official looked at my documents and informed me it would take 60 days. I told her it was much appreciated, but I had to begin work at my school in 30 days.
  • The response I was hoping for: "Of course, I understand, we will put your application at the top of the list and get you on your way." 
  • The response I got: "It will take 60 days."
She suggested I apply for the short-term visa, which would be completed in 15 days and sent to me in New Hampshire, then go to a neighboring country once I get over there and apply for the long-stay visa. However, unlike the long-stay visa, one must buy a round-trip plane ticket to prove that one is planning a stay of 90 days or less. Since I couldn't make that decision without consulting my school director, I left New York in worse shape than when I arrived, yet with hope that I could finally nail down a date and buy a plane ticket. Follow? Probably not. I don't blame you.

There was only one instruction from the consular office that was unclear. The Czech consular Website states that the ticket must be round-trip, to show that the intended stay will be 90 days or fewer. However, given my circumstances, buying a round-trip ticket made no sense; I would have to leave before school broke for the Christmas break. So, between 4:45 Friday afternoon and roughly 10:30 Monday morning, I:
  • Left a phone message with the consular asking if I could buy a one-way ticket instead of a round-trip one.
  • Sent an email to the consular asking the same question.
  • Sent an email to my school director, asking for permission to apply for the short-term visa.
  • Endured Hurricane Irene (very wet but no power loss).
  • Checked my email at 5:30 a.m. Monday, was told to buy a ticket and apply for the short-term visa.
  • Received a call from the consular stating that a one-way ticket, in my scenario, was fine.
So, the rest of the day Monday, I rented a car, got my sister to feed and walk Baldy for me, and drove to my aunt's and uncle's again. And Tuesday went without a hitch. I handed in my work permit, passport, application and accommodation forms. I can check online if my visa has been approved (the consular told me the likely time frame was seven days), and the consular will send me the passport and necessary paperwork via overnight mail. Once I get to Prague, I'll go to Berlin to apply for the long-stay visa.

It's not over, but I have a departure date and a sense of relief. Monday, I told my school director what a long, draining process this has all been, and she corrected me.

"This is normal," she said.

New York Public Library. I didn't know Yankees fans could read either.

Grand Central Station


No comments:

Post a Comment