29 June 2011

Hurry up and wait

My readers who already work abroad won't be surprised to read this, but preparing all the necessary visa work to move to another country is time consuming, expensive and stressful. To quote one of America's great social commentators, "I'd rather dive off the Sears Tower headfirst into a thumbtack."

Nonetheless, it is an important part of the process, given that refusal to do such work means we don't get the job. And one can't blame another country for making sure only fit and proper people work there, can one?



My new employer, Akcent-International House in Prague, is making things as simple as possible for me. There's a parallel between this process and how we teach English as a Second Language. As an ESL teacher, we don't give more than one step at a time when we give instructions, simply because we don't want our students to digest too much at one time. IH-Akcent is doing the same with me as far as helping me with the visa process, giving me the information one step at a time. Monday, I emailed scanned copies of my passport photo page, my diploma and a headshot to the school. I also sent my university diploma and a passport-sized photo directly to the school by express mail. There's more to the process, but it's the first step in obtaining a work permit, so I'll hear more from my school when I have to.

Meanwhile, given that it could take three months to complete the entire process, I did some research to see if I could do anything else to speed things up. The Czech Republic requires a criminal record check. Because I spent about 2 1/2 of the past three years in South Korea, this includes obtaining a criminal record check from there, which must then be translated into Czech. So here's what I did yesterday (Tuesday):

  • At 9:30 a.m., left my house in southwest New Hampshire with, among other things, my passport, copies of passport-sized photos and directions to the South Korean embassy.
  • Despite a handy list of directions to the embassy, took the Mass Turnpike west instead of east.
  • After a 10-mile U-turn, took the proper exit but was unable to locate the correct street.
  • Walked into the embassy about 10 minutes before their lunch break started.
  • Glanced at the TV, which was on MBC America. Thanked God I haven't heard any K-Pop in more than two months.
  • Was given the official form to fill out for the criminal record check.
  • Was told to provide my national ID number from South Korea.
  • Politely informed the woman at the embassy that Korean customs took my national alien card, with my national ID number on it, when I left the country.
  • Woman at the embassy shrugged.
  • Slightly less politely informed the woman at the embassy that Korean customs took my national alien card, with my national ID number on it, when I left the country.
  • Filled out the rest of the form. Was impressed with myself for remembering my address.
  • Paid $4.
  • Woman returned the form to me, after she stamped the form with a signature and also made a stamp imprint on my photo. She then gave me another form with the address for the national police and told me to send the form via FedEx or DHL.
  • Drove back to Keene, but not without stopping at Friendly's for lunch and a Rocky Road sundae.
  • Went to a local shipping store and paid $121.94 to send the official form, a copy of my passport photo page, and a postage-paid return envelope to Seoul.
  • Topped off the gas tank for $29.39.
  • Celebrated my sister's 40th birthday. She's in the best shape of her life, by the way.
As stated earlier, there's plenty more to go. For example, Baldy needs a rabies shot, as well as another microchip (this one to comply with current European standards so the current scanners can read it), so I called the local vet and set an appointment for mid-July. Plus, within three weeks of me leaving, the vet must fill out three forms, one of which must be taken to Sutton, Mass., to be verified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. And that's only for Baldy. I wonder if I can make it to Chicago by midnight ...

No comments:

Post a Comment