01 November 2011

"You're hired. You start when the deer have sex."

Most European countries use Latin-based names for their months, but not the Czech Republic. Instead, the names translate into something symbolic for that month. For example, the 11th month is listopad -- which literally (or close enough to literally) means "leaf-fall."

Letna Park is a lovely place to be during "leaf-fall."
Or when the deer have sex, for that matter.

The first month, leden, is derived from "ice." Two spring months are named after birch and oak trees, followed by "blossom." The start of autumn provides us with two months where the Czech name is derived (or likely derived) from řije -- or "rutting," when the male deer are very much in the mood.

For the full list, courtesy of Wikipedia, which is never wrong, click here.

In slightly less significant trivia, the names of the months are not capitalized and/or capitalised.

Self-serving reminder


Look, I know you're benevolent and want to give me as many pageviews as possible -- provided I keep up my end of the deal and post something. We can both be winners! Just type in your email address in the appropriate box on the right and you'll receive a note when I have posted a new blog entry.

You also can leave a comment below. All of them are moderated by me, but I haven't turned one down yet. Also, I haven't done a poll in a while, so any topic suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I am a faithful reader, but not always a commenter! Am enjoying the blog & photos!

    ReplyDelete