25 August 2011

Mail bonding

Well now, those in the delivery industry had better have me on the top of their Wintertime Celebratory Event of Their Choice card lists. In the past five business days, I've sent an overnight package to South Korea, received an express package from the Czech Republic, sent two boxes to my school in Prague, received an overnight package from South Korea, and sent an overnight package to New York.

Why yes, of course I'll explain:

1. Thursday, I sent my criminal record check to South Korea from Washington so I could receive an Apostille. I've already written about that adventure here.

Excerpt of the criminal record check from South Korea.
2. Monday, I received the materials I need to apply for the long-stay visa in New York. This package was overdue, and it's a long story, and believe me, a thorough analysis of the impact of photosynthesis on the blade of grass underneath some maple tree in Thunder Bay would be more interesting. 

The package included a work permit, application form, and an affidavit I must sign in front of the Czech consular that says I have not committed a crime in the U.S. I'll be bringing those materials to the Czech consular in New York City on Friday, along with ...

3. ... the Apostilled criminal record check I received from South Korea on Wednesday morning. Full kudos to the Koreans for this turnaround that was, in the words of one of our country's most esteemed commentators, quicker than a hiccup.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Korea received the envelope on Monday morning. On Tuesday morning (Monday night my time), I called the office and, after finding someone who spoke adequate English, was informed that they would send the document by the end of day. I forgot what I told the woman -- something about marrying her I think -- but I was very happy. And impressed.

This would not be a Korea anecdote if it didn't include a random surprise. When I sent the package, at the suggestion of the consular in D.C., I included two $1 bills to cover the 1,000 won processing fee. The exchange rate is roughly 1,100 won for $1, but I added the second bill anyway. "Tip," explained Mr. Jang from the Korean embassy in D.C. In the return package, South Korean officials returned one of my $1 bills.

4. I shipped them via overnight priority express or something like that to Vladimír Sulč, a court-appointed official who will translate the documents from English to Czech. I will pick up those documents at his office in New York on Friday morning, then take train No. 6 to the Czech consular, along with my passport, two photos, and the documents I received Monday to apply for my long-term visa.

5. Also, on Tuesday, I shipped two 22-by-15-by-13-foot boxes -- one weighing 32 pounds/14.5 kg and the other 26/11.8, from the U.S. Post Office to my new school in Prague. This will help me travel lighter once I get going. Plus, I'm planning to teach in Prague for the long haul.

Fun fact: Filling out the customs form took longer than the actual transit time needed to get there. The U.S. requires a list of contents in the bag, as detailed as possible. While I didn't write "green sweater" and "navy blue and light blue striped sweater," I didn't go vague either. I included the hockey skates, all of my soccer equipment (shin guards, cleats/boots, 3 pairs of socks, goalkeeper jersey), Korean postcards, maps of Keene, playing cards, long-sleeved shirts, 12 fridge magnets ... you have the idea by now, I assume. Most of the stuff is either for practical use or teaching purposes -- my Red Sox Mr. Potato Head doll worked wonders in Korea when it came time for children to write paragraphs that describe things.

A model for my writing classes on more than one occasion.
Next on the docket: I'll be formally applying for the Cezch long-stay visa on Friday morning in New York. On the docket after that: this.

Various news updates from the Czech Republic:
  • History made on two fronts in Czech soccer: Viktoria Plzeň advanced to the Champions League group stages for the first time in club history and have earned the right to get the goulash kicked out of them by Barcelona and AC Milan. If you're looking for a reason to care, Plzeň is the birthplace of the pilsener beer. Heading in the opposite direction (and not in the John Arne Riise kind of way), the Czech national team's spot in the admittedly insignificant FIFA world rankings is its lowest in 17 years, behind such powerhouses as Belarus and Burkina Faso.
  • The Czech Republic's credit rating was raised to AA- by Standard & Poor yesterday. That's the same grade Japan and China have now, and the same one the U.S. will have by 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment